Here are some unique uses for Essential Oils:
- Dishwashing soap —(hand or dishwasher) to enhance antiseptic and purifying action.
- Wall paint — Adding 5 ml to a gallon of paint and mixing well helps diffuse the paint smell and won’t leave an oily residue.
- Hardwood floor cleaners — Mix 1 cup of white vinegar to bucket of water. Add 5-10 drops of either lemon, orange, pine, spruce, or melaleuca and wash as usual. If necessary, add several drops of dishwashing liquid if the floor is especially dirty.
- Carpet fresheners — Add 16-20 drops to one cup of baking soda or borax powder. Mix well, cover and let set overnight to allow oil to be absorbed. Sprinkle over carpet and vacuum as usual.
- Sachets and moth repellants — Add several drops of citronella, lavender, lemongrass, Canadian red cedar, or rosemary to cotton balls and tie them in a square of cotton. Place sachets in closets and drawers to repel moths and or keep clothing refreshed.
- Ant repellant — Peppermint around doors and windows can keep the ants away.
- Dust mites, fleas, ticks, spiders and other small critters — lavender, lemon, peppermint, lemongrass, cypress, eucalyptus globules, cinnamon, thyme, basil and citronella – can keep these critters away.